|This is situated at the most northerly point of
the Scottish mainland, 2.4 miles north of John O' Groats. Only 6.75 miles across
the Pentland Firth lies the Orkney Isles.
The lighthouse is 20 metres tall and
stands on the 300ft cliff top of Easter Head. It was built in 1831 by
James Smith of Inverness, who worked with Robert Stevenson who designed
It was automated in 1989 and is now
Erosion of the rock on which the first
fog horn stood, built 1899, led to the building of a second nearer the
lighthouse. However this too was replaced in 1952 and today the fog horn
is no longer operational.
A special visitor in October 1979 was
the Queen Mother, she had visited before, but this was the last time. On
this occasion she was given a conducted tour by the Principal
Lightkeeper of the time and then had tea with him and his wife. She also
met with the other keepers and their families who lived there.
The photo on the right shows Dunnet
Head Lighthouse being illuminated by the sun through a gap in the